After just returning from the first game of the soccer season, I have some thoughts on the modern day mom of today's teenagers. There seems to be alot of very thin, yet well endowed moms who dress like they are 16. You know they are an official soccer mom if they are wearing very tight, jeweled pocket 7 Jeans, high heels and an Ed Hardy shirt. The heavy jeweled necklaces that are the rave are also a soccer mom staple and the larger the pendant the bigger their status seems to be. I don't know if this is just a Brighton thing or if it is the same in other high schools.
Whit and I were discussing this on the way home, and she sasked what I would do if I were a mom of a teenager today. Well, after some thought, I think I would probably do my darndest to fit in with the Kathy McNeil's and Jan Fletcher's I would sitting next to, but somehow with age has come a big desire to be dressed comfortably more than anything. So I think I would wear my boot cut levis, a nice Life is Good t-shirt, and some color-coordinated New Balance slip-ons to complete my ensemble. And of course there would be a bright orange Brighton Soccer logo'ed sweatshirt tied limply around my neck enhancing my preppy look. And I would bat my newly acquired LiLash enhanced lashes and give the world my best smile.....Now THAT is my idea of a real Brighton Mom!!
I would never have qualified as a BHS soccer mom...I've never been a size 2 or lived in the 11th ward for that matter. I'll bet those moms have lash extensions too, that cost an arm and a leg. They don't know about LiLash (It's our little secret!)
ReplyDeleteWOOHOO!!! Go Jac. Way to blog. I thought for a while you had forgotten that we are TWO crazy ladies!
ReplyDeleteHaving been a BHS attendee, I try to sway to the complete opposite of the "typicalness" of Brighton. I pretty much look as frumpy as possible. Not on purpose of course, I just am. And that makes me so happy to feel confident knowing that I am no longer in High school, have no desire to still be in high school and try to steer clear of most anything related to high school. I am proud to be graduated and as far away from that time of life as possible. I am now simply an onlooker, a fan, and a proud alumnus. GO BHS!
I just think they are all pathetic and insecure really. They must really keep the acrylic nail women in business too. I must admit that I would like to have their size 2 figures, but as I have taught myself to say "Does it really matter in the eternal perspective?" NOPE, it doesn't.Well . . .
ReplyDeleteOff to my personal trainer in the morning (And no, that's not a joke!)
This comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteGo Simple Squirrel! I love your analysis and think you have a really good perspective. It makes me think twice about first impressions and making judgments right off the bat. But after doing it for 59 years, it's hard to teach an old dog new tricks.
ReplyDeleteLast post was from Jac...don't know why it looks anonymous.
ReplyDelete