Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Little Fishes

Has anyone ever actually tasted a sardine?  How about an anchovie?  What's the difference in a sardine and an anchovie?  I'll bet they are the same thing.  Probably the sardine is the adult  and the anchovie is like the guppy.
I think it is a joke that people actually put them on their pizza.  It's probably like telling people to go to the end of the hall at Brighton High School.  There is no end...it's a circle.  DUH!  There are some people out there who think it sounds cool to say "I want anchovies on my pizza", but inside they really hate it.
I remember dad liked to eat Kipper Snacks. . . .I think that's what they were called.  Anyhow, he once ate them while we were backpacking and they smelled HORRIBLE----then, if it wasn't bad enough, he ate it with a raw onion...YUCK!  He did this more than once, so I don't think he was just trying to be cool.
The other thing about these kind of 'canned' little fish is I don't think they ever go bad.  I know we had some that sat in our cupboard for years, and they supposedly never expired.  They are probably really good for food storage.
I would really like to know if any of you have actually chewed AND swallowed a sardine, an anchovie, or a kipper snack.
The fact that they sell them at Big Lots in the clearance section tells me that they aren't the most popular item in the grocery store.
The tweedlebugs used a sardine can for a bed, or wait, maybe it was a matchbox.  I know they used a sardine can for something.  Those tweedlebugs were ingenious.

4 comments:

  1. SICK!!! RAW ONION!!! No wonder we have such sensitive noses. I don't think they are all the same thing. I think they are all sick, and I think the picture was BRILLIANT!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Never tasted one, never want to. Did have sushi though a few weeks ago-LOVED IT! I asked the guy at the sushi restaurant if the beef in some of the sushi rolls was raw also. He kind of chuckled to himself and said-oh no, all the beef is cooked in sushi. Geez, like I would know that, I had just asked him which sushi would be best for a sushi virgin...apparently not a common asked question at the Yapona Sushi Bar-no, I was not at a bar

    ReplyDelete
  3. MJ: Where in the world do you get your pictures?? That is hilarious. The only time I ate an anchovie was once dad and I went with some friends to get pizza at The Pie up at the U and they asked for anchoives and I thought they were like a mushroom and snarfed it right down. It was the sickest, raw-fish taste in the world. At least I didn't see the face of it though - they look like a slug. AWFUL!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. They are so gross!! It's these creepy fish that give decent fish a bad name. I love halibut and some mild tuna, but these little critters belong in Grandma Reading's fish pond. The kind that live all year long, and freeze in the winter. Ewwww! Hey, just a tip for you fish eaters out there. Never eat fish from a restaurant on Mondays...they say they are trying to get rid of last week fish leftovers, and Monday is the day they serve old fish!! No fish tacos for me from Lone Star on Mondays. :(

    ReplyDelete