Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Hair

In case none of you have noticed, I have curly hair.  It's not a perm.  For as long as I can remember I have wanted to have straight hair.  I figure I have wasted the equivalent of approximately 96 days of my life straightening my hair with a blowdryer.  That is until one Halloween day about 6 years ago.  I had a moment of enlightenment.  Why was I wasting so much time on my hair?  If I straightened it in the morning, it was always wavy and frizzy by 2:00.  I could never drive down the canyon with the window down.  This was idiotic.  If people didn't like me with curly hair, I really don't care!
This has been my attitude ever since.
Curly hair can be a blessing and a curse.  The blessing is that it's VERY easy to do.  If you wake up late, all you need is a spray bottle to liven up your curly locks.  If it's raining or humid.....no worries.  What's going to happen?  Is my hair going to go curly?  Oh well-don't care!
Another blessing is that I no longer have split ends!  My hair is much healthier.
The curse is that you can never really have decent straight hair which is usually the fashionable style to have.  Sure you can pay to have it professionally straightened, but it really only looks good until you wash it.  And then your hair is dry and damaged and has split ends.
When people say, they wish they had curly hair, they really don't know what they are talking about.  Do they want hair that you can't run your fingers through?  Hair that your niece can't brush because it hurts like h-e-double hockey sticks?  Hair that never looks cute in any type of a braid?  If you do try to braid it, you always get hundreds of little flyaway curly hairs that looks like the person doing the braid didn't know what they were doing.  Do they really want hair that has the potential to poof up to twice the size of your head?......I don't think so.  Maybe people should think before they speak.
I'm not as negative about my curly hair as I once was.  I no longer care if my hair looks like every other single person in my school.  I don't care that when I wake up in the morning I scare people.  I am now accepting of my hair and am glad that all I need is a little LA Looks (light blue CURL) gel to get ready in the morning.
It could always be worse!

4 comments:

  1. I would LOVE to have your hair!! Do you know how many bad perms I've had in my day. And I personally love your hair curly and you do have fabulously healthy hair AND no gray!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I used to braid your hair quite a bit and it ALWAYS looked professional. Whatever! I like your hair-it suits you. And it is always fun to see what masterpiece it turns out to be in the early morning.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Curly girls UNITE! MJ, you are my idol for rockin curly hair. I wish I could go cold turkey with my own curls. Instead I spend tons of time straightening and looking at humid charts. I also know if I leave the borders of Utah, the first thing in my suitcase is an assortment of hats!! Bring on the LA Looks Gel

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think your hair is your trademark. Everyone always comments on how cute it is. Like the sign in Jacque B.'s salon says: Life is curly, don't even try to straighten it. You are one beauty just the way you are!

    ReplyDelete