Thursday, March 11, 2010

Pumps

I have a gnawing question.  (I have to admit it was inspired by the excellent sardine picture).
What is a pump.  Now I know that it is a high heel shoe, but I always thought it was a "not too high" heel shoe.  Like I always assumed it was an inch or less.  But I have heard some people refer to some VERY high heeled shoes as 'pumps'.  This has bothered me.
When I was in high school (like a freshman or sophomore) Payless Shoe Source came out with these 'dyeable' pumps.  They started bright white satin, but you could dye them to match your dress exactly.  I secretly always wanted to get some dyeable shoes for a dance.  Looking back, they were HIDEOUS!  I am so glad I didn't fall for that fashion disaster.
I had a friend that got some dyeable shoes and at the end of the night, her feet were the same color as her shoes....turquoise!
So, back to the topic of pumps.  I would like to know your opinion of 'pumps'.  I still believe they can't be called 'pumps' if they are over a one (maybe 1 1/2)  inch heel.  
I just remembered that one year for Halloween, I was Carmen Miranda and I had some green dyeable pumps that I bought at Savers.  They were like new.  Probably because whoever bought them was too embarrassed to wear them.  I guess I did get my dyeable pumps!
That puts a smile on my face.

6 comments:

  1. I recall mom saying "pumps" quite a bit as if Satan himself had invented them. "Oh no, we don't wear "pumps" until you are much older!" She scared the living daylights out of me.

    I believe pumps are the awkward 1/2 to 1 inch shoes that have a pointed toe (and can only be pictured at Payless in dyeables)

    I believe HEELS is the correct term for the slutty ones I like to wear every now and then (just to get a rise out of mom . . .tee hee hee!_

    ReplyDelete
  2. When I think of pumps, I think of a classy, no frills, sturdy heel, (not to high) shoe. I have quite a few in my closet as I type. I am always on the look out for a good pair of pumps. I know the instant I try them on if they will work. Never underestimate a good pair of pumps. (Even it they turn your feet turquoise or in Miranda's case...green!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wikipedia states:
    "the word "pump" originates from the pomp related to the occasions on which they are worn" That works for me!

    I always considered a pump to be a lower heeled dress shoe.

    Funny thing, I actually wore some of those dyeable Payless pumps at my first wedding, but left them white and didn't dye them. Maybe a sign, don't ever wear Payless Shoe Source shoes at your wedding-it will be doomed.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm with Terri on this one. Pumps are considered a practical, sturdy high heel in the old school sense. It's a total Minima word though and I don't think I actually owned any real pumps until after I was married. You had to really be mature enough to own a pair of pumps!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well great, I wore some dyeables from Payless to match my IVORY dress for my SECOND wedding!! Thanks SQUIRREL!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ya, I am still too young to wear pumps...I think the "sisters" know their heel types. I remember when I got my first black velvet "elevator"shoes from payless. I begged my mom to get them, and she told me she would if I didn't go clothes shopping for 3 months... What a SCAM!

    ReplyDelete