Saturday, January 30, 2010

Car Models

Have you ever stopped to really think about the model names of cars?  Well, I have and many of them are absurd.  The sad thing is that most of the lame names are cars that I really like!  This isn't a jab at the cars themselves, just the ridiculous names they have been given.   This post is mostly focusing on models, but I just have to ask......Saturn?  Why name a car after a planet?  And of all planets, the one with the rings???   I just don't understand.  But models are a whole different story......Take for instance the Ford Mustang.  This car has been around forever, but why a mustang?  A mustang isn't exactly a strong or fast horse.  If they wanted a bold and strong horse name, why not Clydesdale, or Arabian.  Now that would make more sense.
And what about the Chevrolet Avalanche?  Isn't an avalanche a bad thing?  Call me crazy.
How about the Buick Lacrosse?  OOOoohh, a Lacrosse, how about the "Cricket" or the "Croquet"...same idea.
Mitsubishi Mirage....Is it really a car, or is it not?  what is it?
Cadillac Escalade, is that short for an escalator?  I don't understand that one.  Especially when you pay the price of a nice home just to own one.
Subaru Brat.  Really, is this some kind of a joke?  Can you just imagine CEO's sitting around a table in a boardroom and deciding that "brat" was a good name for a CAR?  (I'm shaking my head)
Dodge Caravan- was this car named after camels?  Isn't that how camels travel trough the desert with their nomadic owners?  In a Caravan?  They WISH their Caravan was the Dodge variety!
Chrysler Sebring--Isn't that the stuff you wash your face with at night?  come on people-there are some seriously good names out there for cars...Let's use them!
OK, now Volkswagon has a whole slew of models that are just ridiculous....The Golf, the Beetle, the Tiguan...and of course the Rabbit.  Ya, I want a care named after a bunny!
Dodge has another good one... the Neon----come on, Neon?  Makes you wonder what colors this car comes in... 
Ford Fiesta-----you would think these are only sold in Mexico-nope!
Isuzu Rodeo--this is a little odd you've got to admit, I would think anything named after a rodeo would at least be a TRUCK!
And my favorite is the Toyota Sequoia.....who thought it would be a good idea to name a car after a cactus?


This is just a sampling of the cars that pop into my mind right off the bat.  I'm sure there will be an addendum at some point.
If you own any of these models of cars, please don't take this personally.  As I said before, they are simply ridiculous names.  I am not attacking anybody personally or their cars for that matter.  This is all in fun.  We can all still be friends.  It just so happens that my sisters both own one of the more ridiculous names......hmmmmm-so sorry!

4 comments:

  1. Are you kidding me? You think a Sequoia is a cactus? Have you never heard of the great Sequoia National Forest. They are some of the biggest and oldest living trees on the planet! Not cactus!
    BTW, got a couple more...Ford Focus-was it ever blurry? Or Chevy Cobalt-are they all blue?

    ReplyDelete
  2. oooooh that's really funny---I was thinking of saguaro--Oh, I am laughing my butt off. That's funny!! Good one!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What about the Gremlin from back in the 70s? They even looked stupid.I had a boyfriend that had one and it was so embarrassing to be seen in that thing.I was thinking the same thing on the Sequoia...Its good to know M J can make a mistake once in a blue moon. Maybe she won't be so hard on me. j/k
    Great post.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would like a RAV4 explained as well? I think it means "RAD AWESOME VEHICLE"...
    Funny about the Sequoia, I was thinking the same thing as Aimee--Good catch Aim! Ter feels much more confident now. Poor Ter probably has sweaty palms when she types her messages and has Jas proofread them before she hits the "post comment" button!! LOL!

    ReplyDelete