Thursday, January 21, 2010

What is the purpose?

As I sit here watching the local nightly news,  a commercial caught my eye.  It was an advertisement for ADVAIR.  It's a bronchodialator to help you breathe better.  It portrays a grandpa at the zoo with his grandchildren having so much fun because he is able to breathe freely.  Thanks to ADVAIR.  It showed a group of 3 giraffes.  I guess you could say they are beautiful animals.  Don't get me wrong, I've always quite liked giraffes.  They fascinate me,  I always imagine what an x-ray of their neck must look like.  To be honest, they are one of the best displays at the zoo (after the polar bears) because their display isn't stinky.  It's outside (If the giraffes are outside).  And a blue tongue, I mean that is absolutely intriguing.  But, what is the purpose of giraffes?  They are neither a  hunter or a hunted.  So I think back to science class and imagine the food chain.  Where do they fit?  Something tells me they don't get rid of unwanted pests.  They aren't the main course for the lions, (That's the wildebeests).  They aren't a main course for anything, and all they eat is grass.  Don't the zebras take care of that?  And what are those two little nobby things on top of their heads?  Hey-maybe they are aliens from another planet.   Maybe they've just been biding their time until somebody noticed that they really have no purpose and have been spying this whole time.  They have been dreading the day that  some brilliant woman (me) would come along and have this realization.  That's what the nubbins are all about!  I just don't understand giraffes.  I'm sure Heavenly Father has a plan for them, (if they really are from this planet), but for here......I guess they are just abnormally long necked animals that look really awkward when they run.  I almost hate to see footage of a running giraffe, something about it is embarrassing.  Or better yet, have you seen them 'stoop' down to take a drink?  Something about it reminds me of peeing in the woods at girl's camp....AWKWARD.  I can't say why, it just is to me.
Gosh, now I feel kind of bad about feeling like giraffes have no purpose.  I really do think they are quite majestic animals, but I guess I am just misinformed.  If anyone can offer any insight to the purpose of giraffes, I would love to hear it.  That's the way I see it!


4 comments:

  1. Giraffes happen to be Hope's favorite animal at the zoo! I, too, am fascinated with the blue tongue. Why blue? I believe the horns are used to push along their young and tell them to walk straight and tall. Can't you just hear it "Now Gerard Giraffe, straighten up!"
    The alien thing is a little strange, but I'll sleep on it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I dunno, but there sure have been alot of giraffes lately give up their lives to be someone's cute little fancy purse with red trim-do y'know what I'm talkin' bout...LAME! Oh no, don't get me wrong, I thought they were cute at one point and mom even offered to buy me one once, but now EVERYONE has one. And I am pretty sure that most of them are not REAL giraffe hide. Poor, poor fake giraffes giving up their fake hide just so some snotty lady can have a fake giraffe purse...just sayin'

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aimee: I thought you meant I had offered to buy you a giraffe once! I mean I pretty much gave you everything your little heart desired, but a giraffe?? I seriously had to stop and think, "Did I really say that?!" Whew, so glad it was just a purse!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That MJ post to Aimee was actually from Mom.

    ReplyDelete