Monday, January 18, 2010

Earthquakes and other Seismic Events

I decided I needed to do my share of being an official Crazy Lady and give Marne' a little rest from her duties as the official poster.  She has been doing a great job and even though she thought I was mad at her today, I was NOT mad and was laughing with Cynthia at work who thinks our family is the most clever, funny people in the world, which we truly are.  Marne's comments were right on the money and I might add that I'm kind of proud that I do have all the answers to the world's problems and am just waiting for someone to recognize this wisdom and life experience and that I might be able to counsel and advise if given the chance.
I certainly appreciated the sarcastic comments that were made and will remember them at birthdays and Christmas.
That said, we are on to the subject of earthquakes.  A fun topic.  So, my mom used to tell me that if an earthquake ever happened on "our" faultline, (meaning the one that runs along the Wasatch front), we wouldn't have to worry because we would get an initial jolt and some people might die if they fell in the crack of the faultline, but the real damage was going to the whiplash effect that the people on the west side would get.  I don't know how I feel about this theory and have wondered how Mom came up with the idea, considering I don't remember her taking any seismic geography classes.  But I think she was trying to make us not worry about it because I have always had a real fear of earthquakes.  I remember being on the top floor of the old Liberty Elementary School in Murray, the sixth grade, Mr. Hutchinson was my teacher and made us put gum on our nose if we were caught chewing it.  But I digress...we had a strong earthquake while I was at school and he yelled for us to crawl under our desks and big pieces of plaster was falling from the 200 year old ceiling onto our desks.  It was terrifying! It seemed like it was shaking forever. I remember walking the 30 feet home from school and just having this sick feeling knowing we were all going to die.  Probably that very night when it returned.
So I think the moral of the story is that we are all going to be okay when the "Big One" hits because we all live on the east side!!  But maybe just to play it safe, we could all invest in the honing devices the skiers wear when they get caught in avalanches.  Better yet, maybe we could all put our heads together and invent a "Quake Saver" device that would alert authorities and sniffing dogs where we might be located in the event we are down in the storage room looking through the craft box when it hits.
Just a thought.  Nothing to worry about ....ha,ha.  I think they said "anytime in the next 50 years".  We're all be exalted by then!

See, isn't it fun when I post?
Mom

3 comments:

  1. WOOHOO!!!! I've been waiting for you to FINALLY post. See, all it took was making you mad! (j/k, I know you weren't mad) to get you to post something of your own doing. I can totally her Minima saying that. Only, I'm kind of surprised she didn't make you a little more scared because she scared the CRAP out of me during some kind of middle east crisis. I truly thought it was the end of the world. She obviously loved you more.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Way to go Jac! You know, earthquakes are my biggest fear!! Truly. I remember going through a phase in junior high that I swore I felt earthquakes on a daily basis. I would always run to a door frame . . .and was hoping no one was looking. Never was a bad earthquake--perhaps restless leg syndrome or something . . .
    Interesting to think about though!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I always kind of worried about Minima's earthquake prediction when we lived in Tooele, thought we were moving to safer ground here in Highland but... according to the latest research by Deseret News, the most shaking and destruction will be right ALONG THE FAULTS. We are all going down-but that's not what I'm telling MY kids!

    ReplyDelete