Monday, January 25, 2010

One more thing (about Ice Skating!)

I have been thinking about yesterday's Ice Skating blog entry and have pondered a few more things in my mind about the silliness of this whole idea.  So to pick up from yesterday's musings....These guys all decided to name jumps and turns, but which one of them decided that they should judge one another?  Which one said, "gee Ulrich, your Lutz loooked a little better than Genevieve's Lutz.  Tonight after supper, let's all meet back here at the frozen pond and rate each other's jumps."  And after a few years of judging each other, did they say, "Hey, I've got a fiddle, why don't we do a number to the tune of my fiddle."  So did they have so much fun skating to the music of the fiddle, that they started rehearsing routines to the old fashioned "jugband" music of the times?
And then the whole town gathered in the townsquare to watch the ice skaters skate to the music of the fiddle.  Eventually judges were assigned to score the routines.  And at what point did they decide it was a good idea to wear a leotard on ice?  It's all just so absurd.
I'm sure that the ancient Greek people never intended this "sport" to be part of their elite olympic games. They'd be embarrassed I'm sure.
All I'm asking is how did this all begin?  I don't think it just started in the recent past.  I'm sure that it had to begin somewhere on a frozen pond in a scandinavian country....in the land of Sinter Klaas.
OK, I'm done with the Ice Skating thing.  I think I've made my point.  I think you all get it.

2 comments:

  1. The leotard thing was NEVER a good idea!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We get it, you really DO NOT like figure skating. Move on to something stupid like curling...what kind of lame sport is that? Sweeping ice? Who came up with that one...probably someone with OCD

    ReplyDelete