Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Be Aware

This is a caution... a word of warning.  If by chance any of you are ever in the market for a new mattress, DO NOT, I repeat, DO NOT step into a Select Comfort store.  What is a Select Comfort store you ask....Let me make this a little more clear.  SLEEP NUMBER!  Now do you understand?  It's called a Sleep Number bed.  Personally I thought they sounded like an answer to prayers.  I come from the waterbed era and dreaded the day I would have to sleep on a "real" mattress.  When the unfortunate event of the mold occurred (that's a whole other blog entry),  dad was adamant that I branch out into the world of mattresses.  I needed something to form to my body, envelop me if you will.  No Serta or Beautyrest was going to do that for sure.  So I considered the Sleep Number.  It sounded perfect.  I made the trip to the mall (that should have been the first warning sign right there......who sells mattresses in a mall?).  It was honestly quite embarrassing.  The whole mall can walk by and see you testing out the mattress.  The ladies at Claires boutique have a birds eye view into your awkward testing of the mattress.  You can't just lay on the bed and try it out- oh no!  There's a 5 step process to be introduced to the new technology of the Sleep Number.  First you fill out a short simple form that seems harmless. (wrong!)  Second you have to see advanced mechanics of the bed.  You see the "flat" version (uninflated)  It looks just like a Coleman air mattress.  Then you see how easy it is to set up.  (Of course it's easy, it's an air mattress.  It's virtually weightless.)  Then you are shown the cutting edge method of automatically pumping air into the mattress.  You pick a number and it inflates.  Finally, you get to test it out.  If it is too hard, you lower your number.  If it's too soft, you raise your number!  It's not rocket science!  I was a 40!  I swear that you could recreate this bed with a couple of items from Walmart.  A Coleman air mattress, a air pump that is electric, and voila......Sleep Number Bed! 
It honestly wasn't uncomfortable, just extremely expensive.  I left the store telling the knowledgeable sales clerk that I would be back after I decided if this is what I wanted to do.  End of story??? NO!
For the next 5 years, I have continued to get Select Comfort adds in the mail.  "Are you still in the market for a new mattress???"  Uh, yes, it's been 5 years and I'm still looking for that elusive perfect mattress.  Give me a break.  I'm sure that when I am dead and gone, Canyon or Coleman will be receiving my mail that asks if MJ is still in the market for a new mattress.  Poor kids.  Just tell them no!  I found a killer mattress at RC Willey that's so soft I look like a taco when I sleep.
The moral of this story is that even if you are tempted to step into that store.......don't do it.  It's like smoking Heroin.  It only takes one time and you are ensnared for life.  Trust me, I've been there and well, I still am! 

2 comments:

  1. That's funny, we have a pretty nice supposedly "firm" mattress and Jerry and I look more like a "double decker taco" in our bed. Stupid queen!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. There's this guy I know (Russ) that tends to be on the cheap side and he was trying to talk me into a Select comfort for months! Does he know how many hair colors and massages that would be?? That's when the smart guy I know (dad) offered us his own super comfy, not-to-taco, bed that supports us even during the best of times . . . (nudge, nudge, wink, wink) we have never slept so good!
    *Note: it was also purchased at RC WIlley.

    ReplyDelete