Thursday, January 14, 2010

Contact Lenses

This is something I often think about each night as I take out my disposable contacts.  When you wear disposable contacts, the doctor tells you that you should replace them every two weeks.  That is just a ploy to make you spend more money on contacts.  All contact wearers know that you can get a good month out of them before it's time to toss them.
Each month as I throw out a well worn pair of contacts, I wonder if that pair had a good 'life'.  You know...what did this pair see.  Did it see any good movies, or exciting breaking news?  Did it witness the nieces and nephews doing adorable things?  Or maybe that pair really got a bum deal....maybe that pair saw tears, or were unfortunate to have been worn during allergy season.  On the flip side, when it's time to break out a new pair of contacts, I wonder to myself....."I wonder what kind of things this pair will see.'  I'm sure as they are pulled out of the box, they are EXCITED.  They say goodbye to their friends left behind in the box and embark on their month long life.  You see, my contacts are more lucky than most because they get worn for a full month....not the recommended 2 weeks.  I'm sure at the Johnson & Johnson ACUVUE factory, the newly formed contacts know about me.....the lady who wears her contacts for a whole month.  They dream of being worn in my eyes.  
So for those lucky contacts I try to make life good for them.  I don't wear them through the night, oh no...I take them out and let them rest through the night.  Soaking in a nice cleansing bath.  Then every morning, embark on a new adventure---who knows what this lucky pair will see throughout the month.
I guess like life, some contacts are just more fortunate than others.....

2 comments:

  1. Gad . . .that was touching. Maybe you should look into Lasik so you never disappoint a pair of contacts again. Just a thought . . .

    ReplyDelete
  2. My contacts can't go even a minute without me, that's why I wear them ALL NIGHT LONG! Cause you know how attached I get to things...

    ReplyDelete