Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Cultural Calamity

You know, I've tried as a mother and mentor to provide my children with good, enriching cultural experiences.  We've enjoyed plays at the Hale Theater, trips to the museum, (well, maybe not so much....) an occasional Kurt Bestor concert, a Nutcracker matinee or two, but today I realized our future is bleak when it comes to going to see a Broadway play in Salt Lake City.  As you may have heard, The Lion King is coming to the big city in August, and a couple of us at the office were looking into the cost of tickets, and they range...get this....from back row on the balcony $195 per ticket, to $295 on the floor.  REALLY???  Is there not a recession going on?  Is it just me or does anyone else think that's a little outlandish? A mere $1200 for three of us?  Terri, Fred and I saw that same play in New York on the 6th row and it cost us $150 per ticket which seemed outrageous but one of those impulsive things we knew we just had to do at the time.  And the play was worthy every penny!!  IN NEW YORK!

So I'm sorry girls, but unless I get a really big promotion as Administrator of LDS Hospital, or there's a  $10,000 life insurance policy we don't know about out there, we are out of luck.  Marne' said I couldn't FORCE her to go anyway, so she's relieved.  But I would have so loved to take you guys to see it.

It makes me realize Jerry had to probably sell a kidney to get us into Wicked.  Good grief.  You would think they would make it affordable to have a little culture in our lives.  So, maybe we can plan a fun day at the Planetarium instead...or a video from Red Box.  Think about it.

Disappointed Mom

3 comments:

  1. LOL! I have heard people say that it is cheaper to fly out of town to see Broadway plays--pathetic.

    Thanks for the thought though!! What a good mom. We have plenty of culture in our lives anyway!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Culture...smulture. We can have a rip-roaring fun time at the sticky shoe in AF anyday!

    ReplyDelete