Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Pears

I love Pears.  They are so choice.  They are the nectar of the Gods......but they are so much better if they are eaten correctly.  I would like to share the secret of the pears with you.  Please pay careful attention and don't miss any steps.  They are all necessary.
They must be not too soft, your finger will find little resistance when applying pressure to the perfect pear.  If you find no resistance.  STOP.  The pear is not yet ready.

I find a paper towel helpful to capture excess juice.  After all, pears tend to be juicy!  First you must find a knife with NO serrations.  Then you cut the pear in half.  This is where the pear gets its name.  You now have a pair!

Next, gently carve the seeded center out of the pear.  Be careful not to cut into the meat of the pear.  You wouldn't want to waste any of the main dish.

Now you gently peel the pear.  Once again, being careful not to cut into the meat of the pear.  Waste not, want not!

Now you have nothing but the delicate fruit of the pear.  At this point you must resist the urge to chomp right into the pear.

This is when you must use your non-serrated knife as a eating utensil.  Simply slice bite-sized pieces, putting them into your mouth using the blade of the knife.  I know it sounds dangerous, but this is a small risk for the nirvana of a delicious pear.

At this point, you are only halfway there!  Lucky, you still have the other half.  Mmmm.

This is the worst part of the pear experience.  Now the pear is gone.  It was so delicious.  And healthy!  But now that you know how, it will only get easier the next time.  
Bon Appetit!

2 comments:

  1. WOW, Pear 101.
    Bring on the pears!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had a whole bottle of canned pears in one sitting a while back and I found out that pears are a natural laxative in addition to all their other amazing qualities :)

    ReplyDelete